What are Dental Inlays & Onlays: Difference, Process, Cost & Benefits
Cavities are holes in the surface of the tooth that occur due to the action of plaque on teeth. They cause intense pain and affect the integrity of the tooth. Fortunately, you can treat cavities and restore teeth using dental inlays and onlays. Read on to learn about getting dental inlays & onlays.
What are Dental Inlays?
They are indirect restorations used to fill cavities in the center of the tooth. The dentist custom-makes dental inlays according to the depth and size of the cavity. They can be made from porcelain, resin composite or gold materials.
What are Dental Onlays?
They are custom-made restorations used to fill a large cavity that extends over the cusps of the tooth. Dental onlays can also be used to repair extensive tooth damage caused by dental trauma. They are designed to match the color of the natural teeth.
When Do You Need Dental Inlays?
An inlay is needed when you have a cavity that is too large or deep to be restored with dental fillings. Inlays are also used when you need a strong dental restoration for a cavity. Your dentist may recommend getting inlays when you need a durable restoration option.
When Do You Need Dental Onlays?
You may need dental onlays when you have extensive tooth damage or a cavity that extends over the tooth’s cusps. Our dentist at 78660 may recommend onlays to rebuild the chewing surface of a tooth. They are also used to repair cusps and lateral surfaces of a tooth.
What is the Procedure of Getting Dental Inlays?
The dental inlays procedure is straightforward and pain-free. Below is what to expect during the process.
- Our dentist in Pflugerville, TX, will begin administering anesthesia and sedation.
- Then, they remove any existing fillings or decayed parts of the tooth.
- Next, the dentist will take an impression or images of the tooth to enable the fabrication of the inlay. They will also choose a suitable shade for tooth-colored inlays. Then, they will send the specifications to the lab for inlay fabrication.
- The dentist will fix a temporary filling on the cavity. It will prevent decay and sensitivity as you wait for the permanent restoration.
- Finally, they will remove the short-term inlay and replace it with the permanent one. You may require an anesthetic if the cavity is deep.
What is the Procedure of Getting Dental Onlays?
Below are steps of a dental onlays procedure by the dentist providing inlays & onlays:
- The expert will offer anesthetics and a sedative to ease pain and anxiety.
- They will drill the tooth to remove any decay or old fillings.
- The dentist will take images or molds of the prepared tooth and send the images to the lab to create an onlay.
- They will cover and protect the tooth with a temporary filling. However, they may skip this step if they use CAD/CAM technology. It enables them to create ceramic porcelains and place them in one appointment.
- Finally, they will bond the onlays to your tooth.
What is The Cost of Getting Dental Onlays?
The cost of an onlay depends on the type of material used. Gold and porcelain are more expensive than other materials. Other factors that determine the price are the dentist’s location and the size of the onlay.
What is The Cost of Getting Dental Inlays?
The cost of dental inlays generally ranges from $250 to $1,500. However, the exact price is determined by the type of material used, dentist’s fees and the type of teeth being treated.
What are The Benefits of Getting Dental Inlays?
The advantages of getting inlays include the following:
- They are made from strong and durable materials such as gold and porcelain.
- Inlays are placed on more extensive cavities running deep into the crown and dentin.
- They repair cavities better than dental fillings.
- Inlays are custom-made to fill a cavity while preserving the tooth.
What are The Benefits of Getting Dental Onlays?
Getting dental onlays has numerous advantages. They include the following:
- Onlays strengthen and protect weak areas of the tooth, preventing further damage.
- The procedure for getting Onlays is preservative since the tooth is not entirely reshaped.
- They promote excellent dental health because they make it easier to clean your teeth.
- Onlays restore the aesthetics and function of a tooth.
Looking to Get Dental Inlays and Onlays Near Windemere, TX?
Getting dental inlays and onlays restores your smile’s aesthetics and function. These restorations are practical, durable and affordable. Are you looking to get inlays & onlays at 78660 Book your appointment with The Grand Family Dental to enjoy the benefits of getting inlays & onlays in Pflugerville, TX!