Sedation Dentistry for Children in Pflugerville, TX
At The Grand Family Dental, one of our biggest concerns is the comfort of our patients. This includes our young patients, whether they are undergoing a potentially uncomfortable procedure or simply experience some anxiety about their routine visit to the pediatric sedation dentistry in Pflugerville, TX. Sedation dentistry at our dental office near you in Pflugerville, TX, can be very effective at calming nerves and keeping patients comfortable.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is the use of medication in dentistry to help patients relax during procedures. The effects produced can range from falling completely asleep to simply a relaxed feeling.
Types of Sedation Used for Children
Our sedation dentist near you may recommend the use of sedation if your child is undergoing a certain type of procedure, such as having a tooth extracted. It may also be used to aid children who experience dental anxiety or who have a strong gag reflex.
- Laughing gas: the mildest and least invasive sedative. Laughing gas is administered as a mixture of the gas with oxygen and inhaled through a mask for the duration of the appointment. The gas does not put patients to sleep but produces a much more relaxed feeling.
- Mild sedation: can be a combination of medications that are taken to help your child calm down. Like with the use of laughing gas, children will remain awake and responsive, though they may not remember particular details about their dentist visit at The Grand Family Dental.
- Moderate sedation: will cause children to feel sleepier than with other forms of sedation, but they usually will still be able to respond to directions from the dentist.
- Deep sedation: administered through an IV to help children sleep through their procedure.
- General anesthesia: medication is administered by a specially trained anesthesia professional to put your child to sleep. Your child will be closely monitored throughout their procedure.
Is Sedation Dentistry Safe for Children?
Guidelines from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) require, in part, that at least two people be in the room at all times who are trained to provide advanced life support measures if needed. At Grand Family Dental, you can have confidence that our sedation dentistry in Pflugerville, TX, will be safe for your child. You will be able to discuss your options with your dentist and decide on the best form of sedation for your child.
If you are in the North Austin, Pflugerville, Elgin, Round Rock, Manor, Jollyville and Wells Branch community visit our dental clinic today. Call us now to book an appointment with our sedation dentist near you.