What to Expect with General Dentistry?
When you have a mild toothache or dental concern, your first point of contact is your general dentist in Pflugerville. This is because general dentistry offer a range of services that address various problems and maintain your oral health.
What are General Dentists?
Your general dentist in 78660 is your primary provider for your dental needs. Unlike specialists who focus on one specific branch of dentistry, general dentists offer a wide range of dental providers that are guaranteed to support and keep your teeth healthy. They focus on preventive and restorative dental services. Your general dentist can also double up as your family dentist in Pflugerville, TX.
What’s Included in General Dentistry?
Some of the general dental services that you can enjoy include:
1.Preventive dental services
Preventive dental services include treatments that maintain good health and stop the oral disease. The common preventive procedures are:
- Regular examination and cleaning. It is recommended that you get a comprehensive dental examination every six months. This helps the dentist to examine your teeth, gums, and jaw and check for any abnormalities. It is easy for the dentist to detect any dental problem and begin treatment early. Professional cleaning is also done to remove plaque accumulation from beneath the gums. This helps to prevent periodontal disease. During your checkup, the dentist can do a teeth and jaw x-ray to check the bone. An x-ray can help detect problems that are not visible or detectable with other dental problems.
- Fluoride treatments. People who are at risk of dental cavities will benefit from these treatments. The dentist will apply a foam, varnish, or gel on the enamel and allow the teeth to absorb the mineral. Fluoride is a mineral that strengthens the teeth and prevents cavities. You can get fluoride treatments every 3, 6, or 12 depending on your risk level.
- Dental sealants. These are plastic coatings applied on the teeth surface to shield them from bacterial attacks and decay. Sealants are mostly applied to the back teeth because they tend to trap food.
- Mouthguards. If you constantly grind and clench your teeth, a mouthguard can help protect the teeth. Grinding and clenching of the teeth affect the jaw and supporting bone.
When your teeth get damaged, decayed, or extracted, you will need restorative dental treatments. Restorative treatments are designed to restore the strength and appearance of your teeth.
- Dental fillings. When you have mild decay that only affects the surface of the teeth, the dentist will remove the decayed part and replace it with fillings.
- Root canal treatments. These are done to remove the infected pulp to stop the spread of infection and preserve the teeth.
- Dental bridges. These bridges replace the missing teeth and preserve your jaw integrity. Bridges need at least two dental visits to be fixed and they can last for 15 years.
- Dental implants. They are metal posts fixed on the jaw to replace the missing teeth and anchor the artificial teeth. Implants are long-lasting, but you need to have sufficient bone support for the teeth to be fixed.
Our dentist in Pflugerville, TX, can offer cosmetic treatments that can improve the smile. The most common procedure is teeth whitening. Professional teeth are done to remove the stains from the teeth and brighten your teeth. Other treatments include:
- Veneers. These are shells fixed on the teeth to improve the size, color, shape, and appearance of the teeth. These are semi-permanent and can last for about 10 years with proper care.
- Crowns. Dental crowns correct almost the same dental problems as veneers, but they encase the entire tooth.
- Bonding. Teeth bonding helps to repair cracked and chipped teeth. Dental bonding is done in about an hour and requires one dental visit. Bonding is less expensive, but it is not durable like veneers and crowns.
A regular visit to a dentist near Pflugerville can help prevent decay, gum disease, and other dental problems.
Schedule an Appointment
Visit The Grand Family Dental for more information on our general dentistry and how they can improve your oral health. Call us now to book an appointment with our dentist near you in Pflugerville, TX. Our dentist also welcomes patients from Willow Run, Springbrook, Leif Johnson, Three Points Common, Yellow Sage, Windermere, and other surrounding communities.